For my fourth
trading card, I focused on the music activity with our found objects. On my trading card I drew the candy jar that
I brought in, filled with mini rainbow chocolate chips. The jar acted as a shaker, and could make a
rhythmic or constant sound. The music
notes on the trading card resemble the sounds that came from the jar I participated
in the music activities with the class.
My found object only made one sound, but with everyone together, we
could create music that was more unique and more complex.
I again chose
to focus on grade one PLOs since that is the grade I am placed in for my
practicum. I focused on Music PLOs
because there were so many outcomes that the found object activity related to
in this area.
B3: Perform rhythmic patterns from classroom
repertoire. One of the suggested
achievement indicators for this outcome is to “use body percussion, voice, or
non-pitched instruments to produce rhythm.”
By using the found objects exercise, students could use objects as their
non-pitched instruments to produce rhythm and experiment with rhythm.
B5: Identify elements of tempo, dynamics,
articulation, and timbre in classroom repertoire. The teacher could use the found object
exercise to have students create sounds that are faster and slower (tempo),
louder and softer (dynamics), or smooth or jumpy (articulation) with the
objects that they have. Doing this
actually matches with the achievement indicators for this PLO as well.
D1: Demonstrate appropriate performance skills
in music settings. This could
include students paying attention to the teacher as she provides instructions
of how to use their found objects as instruments. Students would be actively participating and
following cues that the teacher gives to instruct when students should make
sounds, and how to make sounds. Students
would also be sharing their work with their classmates, showing what sounds
their found object makes. They would
also be listening attentively to learn what objects their classmates are
working with, and students would practice waiting quietly for their turn to
explain the object that they have. All
of these points would be excellent foundational skills for students to learn in
grade one.
The found
objects exercise is an excellent activity for grade one students, because it
creates a foundation of music for students that have no background in music. By beginning with rhythm, students can start
with the basics without feeling like they need prior knowledge to
participate. This also helps students build
their confidence in music and participating in new activities, and will
encourage them to participate in other music activities in the future – after
having a first positive experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment