For my second
trading card, I decided to focus on both the Forum Theatre demonstration and
the pencil exercise we did last class.
My trading card has the shape and appearance of a pencil to represent
the activity we did in class. I thought
it was very useful to give students an object to work with, and to create a
story from. Since many students get
stuck when they are given opportunities to be creative, I found that this
serves as a helpful starting point. I
also really liked the follow-up of picking out key words and writing a simple
poem from those words because this helps students think of their story in
different ways. Connecting a line of
their poem to body movement is yet another way for students to tell their
story.
Another reason why I decided to make
my trading card into the shape of a pencil is because of the words “Forum
Theatre” written on it. During Forum
Theatre, students are basically writing their own lines, so I thought it would
be fitting to place the words “Forum Theatre” on the pencil because students
are individually writing their own script on the spot. Although this script does not appear in
written format, their script is written in their mind with the words they
choose to say.
I am doing my practicum in a grade
one class, so I decided to link Forum Theatre and improv games to grade one
drama PLOs.
A1
– Use exploration and imagination to
create drama: Students must imagine themselves in the role of their character
in order to successfully play their character when acting in an improv
situation.
A2
– Demonstrate engagement in drama
activities: During improv games, students will have to focus on the task,
follow directions, and be paying attention to how the other students are acting
in order to participate.
A3
– Demonstrate co-operation in drama
activities: Students must be listening to their fellow students and showing
interest in order to respond appropriate to the improv situation they are
acting out.
C1
– Participate in drama in a variety of
contexts: The grade one students in my class would experience being both a
participant and an audience member during improv games.
Evidently,
I was able to find a number of PLOs that I could link to Forum Theatre and improv
games that I could do with my grade ones.
I could give the class a basic scene with some simple characters that
they could identify with. Students could
also first practice role playing in partners before acting in front of the
entire class. I would observe my
students for their ability to act within their role, follow directions,
participation, and being a respectful audience member.
No comments:
Post a Comment